I know that there are plenty of sailors who can sail year-round but that’s not so with those of us who are lake-based trailer sailors. In my area, the docks come out of the water on November 1 and don’t return until April 1. So here we sit. If you’re like me, you’re watching the calendar and counting the days when you can get back to it.
What can you do in the meantime? You can still enjoy some sailing related activities.
Here are my favorites:
- Visiting boating and sailing shows
- Reading sailing books, both fiction and non-fiction
- Watching sailing videos to learn new skills
- Checking out equipment to make sure it is clean and working well (stove, lanterns, etc.)
- Sewing projects – winch covers, boom tents, privacy curtains
- Learning and practicing new knots
- Visiting Facebook pages hosted by other sailors and making new friends
You could also
- Check out your sheets and sails, ordering new or repairing old as needed
- Shop for handy new stuff with that gift card that Santa put in your stocking
- Name your boat and order some letters to be applied in the spring
- Recover your cushions
Hang in there – spring is coming!